Sunday, February 28, 2010

Thoughts from Friday, February 26th

Last day here. It was full. Golly, let's take a breather...



Alright. So, it was kind of tough to actually get out of bed this morning. I decided to go back to the school, it was sad to not get another chance to see Granny and a few other faces one last time.

I worked in the Grade 2 class for the morning. Those kiddies were hyper today. Issac yelled emphatically with a wet face from tears, "I hate you", simply for putting his name on the board after numerous warnings. Ha, poor kid. Two of the boys got into a brutal fight at recess which somewhat freaked me. The vocab of some of these kids often surprises me.
After consoling a girl who got hit in the head accidentally from a basketball, and trying to talk through the fight with the other two boys, I stood there momentarily thinking "This is insanity, how do these teachers do this every day?"

Debbie (the principal), poked her head into the class just before lunch to say she needed me to go teach/hang out with the Pre-K kids. Cute hooligans.

Zac and Karey were All Stars since they taught the Kindergartners all day without a lesson plan left for them. Mad props. We combined the Pre-K and Kindergarten class for P.E., which was somewhat chaotic but we managed to actually have them play a few games.

In the insanity of the day, those grade 7/8-ers were looking good to hang out with.

I hung out with the Grade 5 class for silent reading, and then we stayed for a while at the after school program. I played Checkers for the first time and was able to beat a 5 year old, anyone older than that was able to cream me. Little Isaiah gave me one heck of a good hug before we left, I shall miss all those cute faces.

We hit up Deep Dish pizza after a long drive to find the special spot, met a few other Canadians which is always nice. Sadly, not enough time to see the Michael Jordan statue, but we did go up the Hancock building. Gorgeous view of the city, and such an interesting history.

I am excited to sleep tonight. Can't believe we are already going back tomorrow. I look forward to my own bed, some clean clothes, and Canada...yet my heart has been changed by this place and I shall miss it.

I cannot believe these teachers survive in such an intense setting. With little pay, and literally working from 8am until 3 or 4pm, with the kids at recess and lunch, they are a hardcore troop of educators.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May the Lord bless you and give you unending strength in your walk. You are truly an inspiration and light to this world.