Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Ahh nice, service with a smile."

Today we switched things up a bit and Lindsay, Kevin, Peter and I went to the homeless shelter downtown. We felt somewhat odd walking through the inner city with our brown sandwich lunch bags.

We immediately went to work cleaning and cutting potatoes, washing lettuce, and clearing out a back room.

Maybe not the greatest jobs, but people are so gracious and thankful. "God bless ya" is continually muttered or cheerfully expressed numerous times a day.

Handing out lunch was enjoyable, but a new experience.

My eyes met those of tired mothers, cute little youngins, sad elderly men, rough fellahs, as well as those that still hold a cheerful shine. One gentlemen saw my smile and chuckled, and cheered "Yeah- she's got teeth! She's got teeth! Service with a smile."

Peter and I sat and had lunch with a nice guy who used to work at the shelter but was now attending a Truman college down the road. We got talking about money, and how much schooling cost. He mentioned how others pay a hefty amount for some other schools in the area. I cringed inside thinking how much I pay to be at Trinity. While I have absolutely valued that experience, sometimes it is hard for me to really justify all the money I have put into that place. I sure hope my heart remains willing to serve where the Lord directs me, rather than desiring a comfortable shallow life for my future.

Now we are settled back in at our residence for the week. I'm about to go make a cup of tea, and maybe nap or read a book. We are planning to go skating tonight...

Many laughs have happened since our crew been here, God is good in unifying us and bonding together. Amen.

No comments: